The Interschools Snowsports Championships are a series of competitions in 7 disciplines:
- Alpine - Skiers are timed on a modified giant slalom course
- Skier-cross - Skiers are timed on a slope-style course
- Freestyle Moguls - Skiers are scored on a bumps/jumps course
- Snowboard Giant Slalom - Boarders are timed on a modified giant slalom course
- Snowboard Cross - Boarders are timed on a slope-style course
- Cross Country Freestyle - Raced with skate or classic cross country skis or style with a mass start
- Cross Country Relay - 3 Person Relay team only event
Who can compete?
Competitors from all ability levels are encouraged to enter, with an emphasis on fun and participation in the initial regional championships. As the competitions move into the State and then the National event, the level of competition and the degree of difficulty increases.
Interschools is a team-based competition for students attending the same school, although individuals can enter when insufficient competitors are not available to form a team (except for the Cross Country Relay which is a team only event).
What is Interschools? - read the article
Teams and Individuals compete in their school divisions: Division 1 Years 11 & 12, Division 2 Years 9 & 10, Division 3 Years 7 & 8 , Division 4 Years 5 & 6, Division 5 Year 4 and below
Competitors can compete up a division to make a team. However, a primary school competitor cannot race in a secondary division. Females can compete in a male team.
The top 3 teams and individuals are awarded in each event, except the Cross Country Relay where only the teams are recognised. The top 5 teams and top 10 individuals from an event are considered for an invitation to the next competition round.
To achieve a team score, teams need to include:
- 3-4 competitors for Alpine. Fastest 3 times in each run needed to achieve team result.
- 2-3 competitors for Skier-cross, Freestyle Moguls, Snowboard Giant Slalom and Snowboard Cross. Fastest times/scores in each run needed to achieve team result.
- 3 competitors for the Cross Country Freestyle and Relay. Aggregate of 3 team member finishes used for Freestyle team place.
3 Ways to get your School Involved
- Talk to your head of sport or other at your school to drum up interest and let them know that you will be participating.
- Put a story in the School Newsletters about the Championships and requesting additional snow sports enthusiasts.
- Organise an Information Night. Request an Interschools rep to attend to answer any questions
Which Region does our school compete in?
The Sydney Champs are closed to new school entries. New schools North of Moss Vale must compete in the Northern NSW Champs. New schools South of Moss Vale must compete in the ACT-Southern NSW Champs.
Please check with your school if they have currently or previously entered into the Championships. They will be able to indicate which Regional Champs they compete in.
NSW Interschools have compiled a detailed calendar of important dates and events for the season.
The 2017 Interschools Calendar includes dates and venue details only. For more information, please visit the NSW Interschools website via http://nswinterschools.com.au/
The NSW Interschools Snowsports Committee & Staff organises and manages the races. For further information and enquires, contact:
Rebecca Clark – Operations Manager Ph: 0408 006415 firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Lambert – State Administration Manager Ph: 0402 123796 email@example.com